Monday, April 8, 2013

The Exquisite Handwriting of My Mother

My mom would say that she doesn’t have the nicest handwriting.

I suppose at face value this is true. Surely, there are those who have honed calligraphy skills who can write words in the most elegant cursive imaginable.

However, my mom’s handwriting has a beauty unlike that of any other person in the world.

When I see my mom’s handwriting, even just in the form of writing my address on an envelope, I feel her great love for me.

I remember the times that she woke me up for school, took care of me when I was sick, let me help her make food for the family, and disciplined me when I disobeyed. I remember the times that she has held me, sat with me, cried with me, and spoke words of life to me.

The great love that she had for me and my brother was demonstrated again and again and again through all of the simple, mundane moments of life as she and my dad raised us.

When I see her handwriting, I know the great love for me that is behind the pen and paper, and I feel completely loved and treasured.

It recently occurred to me that I should experience this same feeling when I read God’s word. God loves and cares for me so much more than do my parents, and I want to have the same response to seeing God’s word that I do when I see my mom’s writing. It seems easier to me to feel this great love when looking at my mom’s handwriting. Perhaps, it is just because of the physical presence she has had in my life. I have come to know her presence through the joys and challenges of life.

However, I have also come to know the Lord and His character through the joys and challenges of life, and even more so, through His word. I want to be increasingly more aware of His love for me.

I am thankful that among many other ways that He has shown His love for me, He has given me a mom whose writing has great power to encourage me and make me feel like a treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment